Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Natalie Dormer: From Fab to Fierce

Natalie Dormer, not a name that instantly inspires images of fame like Beyoncé or Robert Downey Junior, but a name that is well known. She is a star in the renown TV series Game of Thrones. Natalie is someone I admire very much because of her ability to switch between soft and feminine, to edgy and hard glamour. I myself seem to gravitate towards the worn jeans and baggy sweatshirt version of fashion, simply for the pleasures of comfort and ease of throwing together outfits.


On the show, we see her in a variety of beautiful gowns, anywhere from slightly scandalous (for medieval times) to gorgeously elaborate. She plays a fierce, cunning ruler that we watch destroy enemies through the power of politics, clad in the medieval version of edgy.
If the producers were looking for authenticity, they went to the right person. In real life, Natalie is fierce, fabulous and scary beautiful. Her very unique look comes from her ability to look soft, feminine, edgy, and intimidating all at once, just like her character, Margery Tyrell.
Also, recently, she added another level to her look by shaving the side of her head. That's right, Those gorgeous blond locks no longer cascade from every part of her head, this daring move not only worked in her favour (as was necessary for her part in the next Hunger Games movie, Catching Fire.), but was also a daring move that very few actresses could pull off.




This glamorous gal just took it to a new level, and no one can anticipate what she'll do next, but I think we all know it will be fantastic.
Relating her to a philosophical stand point is a little bit more difficult, since I'm an admirer of her abilities and looks and know little about her personally. In my opinion, since she wasn't admitted to history school like she wanted and was guided towards acting, where she is flourishing, she can be related to some ideas of Gilles Lipovetsky. Lipovetsky has the idea that fashion is used as a means to find yourself, and it seems like by staying true to herself, Dormer has earned roles where her acting is that much better because of how well it fits her person. Margery Tyrell; Dormer's other forms, all of them, fierce, aggressive and beautiful.
Right now, I am a simply dressed college student, but in the future, I hope to find myself in a position where I am comfortable dressing in a fashion that I admire and love to wear for the way it looks rather than the ease of use, and I hope I look just like Natalie Dormer.

No comments:

Post a Comment