Saturday, May 16, 2015

CHAS Wore What!?!

Growing up I really had no say in what I wore, but what child did? I wore what my mother wanted me to wear, and because of that I showed the world what she wanted to see. A cute little girl in a puffy dress. What little girl wouldn't want to wear that? Me! Today I see this picture, and the child is cute, she seems like she is having a great time, but that child is not me. That child is the kid my mother wanted me to be. She is the little girl my mother wanted me to become. 

As time went on I still had to wear what mom told me to wear. The cloths were simple. It showed everyone around me that I was a kid, a kid that played outside, and enjoyed it. It also showed the world I was a little girl. Something that can be really important for parents to get across to others. This attire though it was a little more me was not something that would be comfortable in today. First the sandals, are a no go for me. Its sneakers, boots or speery's for me now a days. And the color pink is something I try to avoid most of the time. This outfit is a comfortable one  but it is still not me it is still a depiction of what my mother wanted me to be.  

By this point I no longer listened to what my mother told me I should wear, or how I should dress. I wore what I thought was comfortable, and that is usually a hat and sweatshirt, something that is very common for one to see me in on a regular basis. I dress for comfort, and that to means what is comfortable for me. I have slowly started to figure that out. 

When there is an event, such as prom I like to go all out and make a statement. As you can see dresses like my mom loved are not my thing. they are not what I am comfortable in. I wore a white suit to prom, and if that didn't make a statement I wore a cowboy hat with it. A statement was made and it was clear that I was going to get attention. It was obvious that at this point I was comfortable with my style, and what I was okay wearing. I was slowly finding what I was comfortable with, and that did not necessarily fit into the gender bylines. 

I liked dressing up, and hey who doesn't look good in a bowtie. The more comfortable I got the more I broke gender bylines. I was now comfortable buying clothes in what is considered the men's section of a store. I will admit that my style is a little more masculine, and I have come to accept that fact. And remember bowties are COOL!!

I may not be a picture person, but at this point my style, has been established. I like comfort, and to me that means a hat, a comfortable shirt, and comfortable pants. I like wearing flannels to. And considering me and what I identify as it may be a little stereotypical but hey, its comfortable. That hat is specifically important to me. It is one that represents my high school, and that is the place where I figured out who I was as a person. 

So as you look at yourself and your style remember that your style is yours to decide. It is not something that your mother chooses for you. If you dress a little more masculine, or a little more feminine it is okay, it is what you like that matters, and that is it. 

CHAS


No comments:

Post a Comment