Tuesday, March 11, 2014

This is me...Almost.

When you get dressed in the morning every day you dress according to how you want the world to see. In a way you are wearing your personality on your sleeves. You are telling people small things about yourself; it’s just a small window into your life. When I was younger I went through so many different styles of dress. I can’t even call them phases because I jumped back and forth between some of them. The most common ones were sporty/tom-boy and girly. The thing is I am not a very confident person so I was never really confident in what I was wearing. The problem was that I always cared what other people thought about me so I dressed to impress others. However now that I am older I have learned to care less about what others think and more about what I like and think is comfortable.
Now that I have started to feel more confident in myself I have started dressing in more things that I love. For example I love wearing jeans, mostly skinny, but recently I have started to wear jeans that slightly flare up at the bottom. To me jeans are the best thing invented since sliced bread. I can wear them up, I can wear them down, I could wear them to be lazy and not look like a bum. And when it comes to shoes I will admit that I have a problem, I absolutely love shoes especially boots. For me boots are fantastic, dress them up or down, they can be so fashionable but they can be so efficient at the same time. Good for school, work, and play. I bought a pair of brown boots over winter break and they might be my favorite to date. They are brown fake leather and have fake fur on the inside; the best part about them is that they are weather proof. See efficient and fashionable at the same time.
 Also I really like wearing button up plaid and flannel shirts, I especially love plaid flannels. The way I wear them is I usually wear either black tank top or a white v-neck t-shirt under neither, and I usually roll up the sleeves. If you were to open up my closet you would probably find about twelve different plaid and/or flannel shirts, almost all of them are different colors. The final part of my closet that I feel is very essential to my fashion, are my accessories. I’m not really a jewelry kind of girl but really enjoy wearing watches, this is a new found love for me only about two years in the making. I currently have two watches. One of them is stainless steel, except for the numbers and hands which are a nice green color that glow in the dark. The other one is a Timex watch that has a leather strap and a very simply face, but the coolest part about it is that it has a button that lights up the entire face. Even though I only have these two I am always on the lookout for more to add to my collection.  Along with my watches I like wearing sunglasses. I have a few different pairs but my favorite is my Ralph Lauren aviators that are polarized. Wear them constantly in the spring and summer time. And finally, the last accessory in my closet that I care the most about is my plaid green scarf. I got it last year as a random gift from my first girlfriend. It has some sentimental value to me so it makes it my favorite scarf and I love wearing it.
One thing that I was never able to get into was makeup. No matter how many times I changed my style I never once considered putting makeup on. It has always felt very unnatural to me, so now I still don’t put makeup on today. Another thing that I hated was shopping. When I was younger my mom had to drag me out of the house when we needed to shopping.  Luckily I grew out of it and now I enjoy shopping, when it’s not too long of a trip. I have learned how to be a very quick shopper; I know what styles I like, my price range, and my size. I usually stick to colors that look good on me and styles of clothing that I already know look good on me. Unfortunately I am very much a one trick pony, I don’t tend to leave what’s normal and comfortable to me, it makes my life easier. Of course there are exceptions to this, when I have a special event coming up I tend to step out of my comfort zone for fun. For example, when I go to weddings I go all out with my outfit. I buy a new dress and maybe a new pair of heels, I do my hair, put some jewelry one, and I even put makeup on. I don’t go big fancy gatherings often so I figure that when I do I might as well look as good as I possibly can.
Now something I would have to say effect the way that I dress is my sexuality. Coming to Western New England I decided that I was going to be as open about my sexuality, unfortunately I had a rough start because of how shy. So I kind of figured out how to wear my sexuality on sleeves in a way. However I have a small issue where I am kind of in the closet at home so it makes it very difficult for me to completely change my wardrobe.  So as a result I have to be careful of how I dress around my mom so I am very careful at home, but at school I usually wear whatever I want.
All in all I know who I want to be and how I dress gives people a small glimpse of who I am. It’s a work in progress but I am definitely almost there.

No comments:

Post a Comment