Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Comfortably Me


      When thinking about how fashion displays characteristics of myself I find it extremely hard to pick one item of clothing or one outfit. Various occasions call for different outfits. What I wear to the bar, is not what I would wear to class or work. I think fashion can portray the many aspects of who a person is. As people we have numerous characteristics and traits that we believe define who we are. Fashion and style can display that message according to the context of the environment and situation.

     I believe I have failed to express myself on a daily basis while here at WNE. I have become more focused on what I have to do throughout the day than with what I wear. I will usually be found in leggings, sweater, and a pair black UGGS. Personally, I believe this outfit says that I am tired, lazy, and inverted. Yet, that is not who I believe myself to be. I think I am actually warm, friendly, positive, and social. I think I dress according to these characteristics when I have a more important place to go, and actually take the time to put myself together. I may include a  pop of color which I associate with being warm or friendly. An outfit fit for a party, shows that I am ready to socialize.




    Perhaps the way I purchase my clothing and accessories plays a part in how I express myself. I buy items according to three main components which are the following: cost, location, and trend. I will buy what I can afford, and in a place that is relatively close to where I am. I will also buy something that I think is trendy and maybe stylish if it is in a store that I like to frequent, such as H&M or Forever 21, or is similar to something I have seen in a magazine.





    Overall, the clothes that I buy and wear are ones that emphasize comfort ability and practicality. When I feel relaxed in what I am wearing, I think that I look and feel better about myself. As a result, I believe that I am more engaging and welcoming.


Ethical questions to consider:
1. How does your class affect what you can buy? Does this become a way of identifying publicly what class you are in and also not a part of?
2. If you are just going along with the trends are you really expressing who you are and your sense of creativity, or are you becoming a follower who looks like everyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment