Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Practical Fashion

     It wasn't until high school that I really became aware of my appearance and how others perceived it - that others even noticed it. I used to worry and fret over it. This was a sign I saw outside of Aeropostale that read "Life's too short to wear boring clothes. If loving fashion is a crime, I don't want to be right" and how I hated that sign and am glad I never saw it during my insecurities of the high school world. My clothes may appear boring to others, but everything I do and everything I wear has a purpose, a use. I don't dress for fashion, but for practicality. That is the person I am.  My prom dress was a one time t
hing - it has no purpose and so I no longer own it.
     Living in New England has taught me to dress for the weather. Sure, a lot of people don't like the look or feel of winter clothes, but you have to get used it being. I'm always cold and so winter clothes are my best friend. I'll never forget my junior year of high school in Italian class when this girl came to class in flip-flops, shorter than short shorts, and a spaghetti tank top. Sure, nice for the summer weather, but we had two feet of snow outside and it was brutally cold. She hadn't even brought a jacket to school. She told the teacher that she was coming down with a cold and the teacher took one look at her outfit and said "You think?" I don't understand what people have against dressing for winter. I have either a long sleeved shirt or that paired with a t-shirt for the layered look, a comfy pair of jeans and some nice warm boots. Never mind my layers of hoodies and jackets.
     My hair is always tied back into a pony-tail. Not because I don't feel like styling my hair or anything, but because it has a purpose. In the summer, it keeps the hair of my neck and keeps my neck cool. In the winter it keeps the hair out of my face while I'm walking from one class to another and the fighting off the barrage of strong wind. 
     I dress for my own comfortability, not for the opinions of others. When going to college, I realized that none of my fellow classmates are going to give two hoots about what I'm wearing. Unlike high school where you are just a fish in a pond, college is the real world and they're too busy in their own world to bother making fun or yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment