Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Focus on You!

   It is not often that you get the opportunity to take a look at yourself and think about who you are.  It is not everyday that you are challenged to took at your fashion choices, but this examination into yourself can prove to be beneficial.  I viewed myself as failing to express who I was through my fashion choices.  I have fallen into what I like to call "college syndrome" in which clothes don't matter.  You can wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt and no one is going to make a comment or care.  Chances are that persons is also wearing the same thing.  Essentially you are here to go to class, to study, maybe participate in a club or two, but really your getting an education.  Does it matter what you wear when you are in class?  Some might argue yes, that dressing the part would benefit you, but if you ask a majority of college students, it doesn't matter if you wear a suit or sweatpants.  Over the past four years at Western New England University, I have focused on my education and the clubs and organizations that I participate in.  However instead of simply casting my identity aside, I express it subtly through accessories.  I have two necklaces, both given to me by my sister.  The first is a sterling silver anchor that I got for my 19th birthday, and the second is a small charm of the state of Maine.  Both of these remind me of my family, of strength, and where I come from.  I also have a cluster of Alex and Ani bracelets that remind me of the same virtues, of family, strength, and home.  These charms include a lobster, an anchor, a mermaid, and my initial.  I wear them all the time, essentially like a small piece of home that I can carry with me.

   Similar to looking into your identity, looking into how you purchase your clothes isn't something I looked to deeply into.  I view myself as a typical consumer frequenting the mall, shopping online, and looking at catalogs.  However, since coming to college I have noticed a higher dependency on online shopping then going to the mall.  This I believe is due to my current environment of being in Springfield.  Simply put, I am uncomfortable here, and would rather wait to go shopping at the mall at home then try to make it up to the Holy Oake Mall.  Since I will be graduating
in May, I see this habit changing.  I will be able to physically go to a store and spend the time shopping, instead of wasting it away in front of a computer screen.  My financial independence will also contribute to how I purchase my clothes.  It will be my responsibility to clothe myself then to rely on my mother to provide for me.  When looking into how my fashion choices impact society, I don't believe that I contribute positively or negatively.  I do believe that my actions can influence my fashion choices.  An example would be if I wanted to support small businesses, I could purchase my clothes from those stores.  So my actions are supported by my clothes.  The argument for benefiting society and the impact your clothes have on it could go many ways.  It was a great experience to get to look at yourself in a different aspect - through your fashion!

Ethical Questions:
1. Should you let your clothes define your idenity?
2. Do you shopping habits really convey who you are?
3. Like Fashion, in 10 years from now, will your views have changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment