Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Take a Peak Inside of My Closet: The Fashion Autobiography of Shawnna M Hall-Enoch

Fashion is the way we express ourselves in a non-verbal way. What we wear says a lot about our personality and our sense of fashion develops at an early age. I developed my sense of fashion at the age of three where I fell in love bold prints. My mother always tells me the story of how we went shopping when I was three years old and fell in love with a floral dress with red trimmings. I would wear the dress to bed, to the grocery, and anywhere else we would go. It's funny how some of or taste never change over time, to this day still I love bold patterns/prints.


How we are raised and the styles of our immediate family members influence our style when we are young and can continue to influence style as we mature. My grandmother was a huge fan of fur, I grew up around fur and developed a love for it as I aged. Fashion can have emotional connections, my grandmother died in 2008 from pancreatic cancer, and whenever I wear fur I feel glamorous (I viewed my grandmother as a women of glamour) and it brings back memories of her and I playing dress up when I was a little girl.


I describe my style as boho-chic. I tribal print, leather boots, dangling earrings,headband, and straw hats.The boho style was highly popular in 2004-2005 and was brought to style by the Olson Twins and Nicole Richie. The trend focuses on looking stylish, being comfortable, and looking natural. The boho style consist of earth tones, flowy dresses, boots/sandals, wavy/curly hair, minimal makeup, and the accessory is the focal point. My favorite boho accessories are headbands, waist belts, and hats. An accessory can change the complete meaning of an outfit in a positive or negative way, so knowing how to pair an accessory with an outfit is crucial.

I view myself as my own fashion influencer. I do not have a fashion crush and simply buy things because they are my style or I find the garment attractive. I became a fan of the boho trend at its down fall and didn't even realize it was a trend. I just walked into Charlotte Russe and saw a tribal printed dress and ever since then it's been love at first sight for me and anything with tribal print on it. I would not consider myself trendy, I just know what I like and continue to purchase things within that style, without looking to see if that's the current trend or not.


I use fashion to express my confidence from overcoming certain insecurities. I am taller than most (6 feet tall) and hated my height because I would stand out and didn't want people to notice me even more than they already did. As I overcame my insecurities my true fashion sense came out and I was able to express myself without feeling like people were making fun of me. When I was middle school and high school I only wore Hollister and Abercrombie because that's what everyone else was wearing so I felt like I was was expected to wear those brands as well. This also goes back to me not wanting to stand out anymore than I had too. I now express myself through my fashion and am no longer afraid to wear pieces because they are different. I now wear heels, something I was so afraid to do before because of my height and I am no longer afraid to stand out from the crowd. My fashion sense shows my boast in confidence and my new found look at myself.

.


Ethical Questions:
1. If you are using fashion to show confidence, are you really confident or are the clothes giving you the illusion you are?
2. If you love fur and know how cruel is it, does not buying something you love make you untrue to yourself?

Thanks for looking in my closet!
-Shawnna Hall-Enoch

No comments:

Post a Comment