Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Struggle: Conformity vs. Expression

       Throughout modern history the roles assumed by men and women have remained relatively the same.  The man is the provider to the woman and family, while the woman focuses on home making and child raising.  However as society has progressed to the 21st century, these assuming these roles no longer means survival and harmony, it is a matter of conformity vs. expression.  As women, from an early age we are pressured by mass media to obtain a certain level of beauty.  We must be thin, have smooth skin, smooth and silky hair, and an unmentionable number of male pleasing beauty marks.  As women we concern ourselves with body adornment that fits into what society has suggested we wear.  Is this really expressing who we are?  Some may believe that through the choice to adorn our bodies with certain items is expression, because we like them.  While that assertion is true to some extent, that is how we express ourselves aesthetically; there is much more to ourselves then a pair of nude flats or gold earrings.
Society pushes us to be slaves to fashion. 
      My gold earrings don't tell strangers that I am a loyal person, or that I care about family.  Am I remaining true to my beliefs and values by dressing the way I do?  This isn't a question we ask ourselves everyday.  As individuals we are funneled to think of vanity before expressing our core values.  Expressing our values and beliefs through our clothes, may concern hem lines of skirts, or covering up the mid drift.  For the sake of argument, if a long skirt helps an individual express their beliefs, that is their own choice.  However, what if that long skirt isn't in style and only short skirts are being sold in stores, that posses a moral dilemma to the purchaser.  The costs of this dilemma can be both monetary, mental, and physical.  Wearing a short skirt may cause the woman to feel physically uncomfortable to bear so much skin; she may mentally feel vulnerable or untrue to who she.  The purchase would also endure buyers remorse, she didn't want to spend the money on that skirt and now she is out of $30.  The aesthetic benefits may seem hard pressed against the more ethical views, however with wearing a short skirt what can that do for women?  Wearing a shorter skirt can allow a woman to feel confident in their looks and boost self-esteem.  Women and men who put effort into their appearance can lead to healthier person mentally and physically.  If those are the benefits of wearing short skirt, couldn't that person express their values in a different way instead of clothing?  Again, these cost and benefits illustrate the happy medium it is somewhat hard too find between ethics and aesthetics. 
Even going out, my appearance took a back seat. 
       As women, as men, individuals of society, we have become slaves to fashion.  Lauren Ashwell and Rae Langton, co-authors of Philosophy for Everyone: Thinking with Style devote a whole chapter to this notion of being "slaves" to fashion.  From an early age girls are introduced to appearance.  Within the chapter, the example of a young girl and her doll is expressed.  Ultimately, a girl playing with her doll conditions her and allows her to practice adornment.  From a philosophers view this young girl is practicing to become a woman, and the same could be said for boys.  The boy is practicing for manhood.  Women also have harsher social penalties for failing to adorn their bodies at a later age.  This allows our current society to continue to push these norms, leading most consumers to conformity and aesthetics, then expression and values.  I believe that it is hard to express overall values through clothing, without a t-shirt explicitly saying "I value tradition."  I believe expression your values through actions make a larger statement, then clothing.  Clothing drives this economy more so then allowing one to express themselves.

        I do not express who I am or my values through my clothing; being in college for the past four years has conditioned me to focus on academics, I have most certainly let me appearance run away from me, sweatshirts and hoodies have become an everyday thing no matter what the occasion.  However, now that I am graduating and have a full-time professional job waiting at home, my appearance will be changing, along with my values and beliefs.  Jeans will be traded in for slacks, sweatshirts, for flattering blouses, and the unkept bun will be traded for long stair hair, pinned out of my face.  Through this experience, I believe I will be able to find the happy medium between ethics and aesthetics that will fit for my lifestyle.  One of the values that I hold close is benevolence - the preservation and enhancement of the welfare of people with whom is in frequent personal contact.  I care deeply about the people around me and will do things to enhance the relationship and the overall happiness of the person.  Another value that I hold close is universalism - the understanding, appreciation, tolerance, and protection of the welfare of all people and for nature.
Benevolence - something I hold close 
       Universalism a belief that I have have recently developed through my new interest in horticulture and agriculture.  It is imperative we educate ourselves on the nature of the planet in order to preserve it which will benefit the welfare of all people.  These values would be hard pressed to signify through clothing, which is why I hold actions more accountable than clothing.  This simple minded view can change, to purchase clothing that is made with the planet in mind, or purchase from business that partake in ethical business practices.  While the meaning would not be explicit to a stranger walking down the street, it would both please myself ethically and aesthetically.

No comments:

Post a Comment